Windows OS is not only more popular in the world, but it is also being used more and more. So, it’s important to learn its amazing keyboard shortcuts and other hidden secrets you may not know. In this article, you will learn how to Shut Down, Restart, and Sleep Windows PC’s, and Laptops with awesome tips and tricks.
Shut Down your Windows PC by using the Shortcut Icon:
- Right-click on desktop as in the picture below
- Hover over the “New“
- Then click on “Shortcut” to open a dialogue box.
- Now type “shutdown.exe -s -t 00” in the dialogue box
- Then click “Next”
- Now if you want to change any icon name, enter the name in the dialogue box. For example: Shut Down
- Lastly, click Finish
- Now an icon will be created on the desktop
- If you double click on that icon, your PC will shut down.
Change the Appearance of an Icon:
If you would like to change the appearance of the icon that you have created, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the icon
- Click on “Properties”
- Click “Change Icon“
- Now select one of the icons you want.
Shutting Down your PC with Win key + R
- Press Win key + R to open a Run dialogue box
- Then type the SlideToShutdown.exe
- And then click the “Drop-Down Arrow” to shut down.
Auto Shutdown Windows 11 or 10
- To auto shutdown our PC, open a Run dialogue box by pressing Windows key + R
- Then Type shutdown –s –t number, for eg: “shutdown –s –t 3600 (3600 is time in seconds, i.e. 1 hour)
- Lastly, click on OK.
Shut Down, Restart, Sleep with Shortcut Key → Alt+F4
Press Alt + F4 and then click ok or press enter key (Alt + F4 also closes open files if you press the shortcut key multiple times before shut down).
Shut Down, Restart, Sleep you PC or Laptop with Regular Method
The regularly used method to Shut Down, Restart, or Sleep your PC: Click on the Window Icon start button → Click power button arrow → Click shutdown.
Ctrl + Alt + Delete Key
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, then click on the power button, which appears at the bottom right corner of the screen, and then click shut down.
Windows Key + X, then U
To shut down a computer, Press Windows Key + X, then U
Shutting Down System with window Software:
Shutdown Timer Classic is a little windows power app, used to set a timer to Shut Down, Restart, Hibernate, Sleep or Lock your Computer. It is free and open-source software. To use it does not require any internet connection.
Shut Down System with 3rd Party App:
Wise auto shut down is a 3rd party application software. With this tool, you can easily schedule your computer to shut down, log-off, restart, sleep, and close power at any time you want. It supports both 32- and 64-bit OS for Windows XP, Vista, Win7/8/10. Click here to download.
Shutting Down a Window Computer with Command Prompt
- Click on the search button
- Type “command prompt” in the search box and press the “Enter” key
- As soon as you press enter key the following code editor box will open.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.836]
2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
- Continue typing the “shutdown /p” (after “C:UsersOmkaram>”) to the above code editor and press “Enter“.
- Working with “Bring Forward and Send Backward” (Objects) in Word
- Create a Table of Contents in Word 21 (Covers Everything)
- Write a Perfect and SEO Friendly Blog Post
- Select the Latest PHP Version in cPanel
- Magical Shortcut Keys and Hidden Secrets in MS-Word
- Always Open Read Only in Word and PowerPoint
- Incognito Window (Private Browser Mode) Shortcut.
How to Schedule Turn Off or Auto Shutdown Windows 11 or 10?
1. To auto-shutdown our PC, open a Run dialogue box by pressing Windows key + R
2. Then Type shutdown –s –t number, for eg: “shutdown –s –t 3600 (3600 is time in seconds, i.e. 1 hour)
3. Lastly, click on OK.