An underline is the drawing of a horizontal line beneath the important text in any document to bring it into focus by making necessary words stand out in a sentence or paragraph.
In this article, you will learn the great secret of underlining text, such as a single word, the individual words in a paragraph, or an entire paragraph.
Learn not only how to underline words, lines, or paragraphs but also how to apply styled and colored underlines.
Let’s uncover the secrets!
Table of Contents
Underlining Text With Different Styles in Word
|Steps and Shortcuts
|Underlining a whole paragraph, word/s, line/s
|Select the paragraph, word, or line. Press Ctrl + U
|Double-Underlining a word or paragraph
|Ctrl + Shift + D
|Select the paragraph, word, or line. Press Ctrl + Shift + D
|Underline all selected words by avoiding spaces at a time in a paragraph
|Ctrl + Shift + W
|Select the paragraph, word, or line. Press Ctrl + Shift + W
Underline Text with color and Style
- To underline text with different colours and styles, do the following;
- Select the text that you want to underline with different colors and styles.
- Go to the Home tab.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Underline button in the Font group.
- Choose the underline style that you want to apply to the selected text or paragraph.
- If you desire additional underline styles,
- Select “More Underlines” from the drop-down arrow next to the Underline button.
- In the “Underline Style” window that appears, choose the desired style and color for the underline.
- Click OK to confirm the action.
- Alternatively, you can also select a theme color to apply to the selected text.
How to underline the text you want with one click
Do you want to learn an amazing trick? With this command, you can effortlessly underline text wherever and whenever you want, as many times as you desire. Additionally, you can copy the formatting of already underlined text and apply it to any location you choose. Let’s explore this feature and see how it works!
- Select a section of text and apply the desired underline format.
- Double-click on the “Format Painter” button in the toolbar.
- Click on any other text in the document where you want to apply the same underlined format.
- Repeat step 3 to apply the format to as many sections of text as you like within the same document.
Normally, we use the font formatting group in Word to underline a word, line of text, or paragraph. But if you want to work fast, it is better if you use the shortcuts described above.
It is important to learn these shortcuts, as we use them frequently. Not only that, but they are also easy to learn. And you’re going to learn these things, right?
What does underlining mean?
Underlining is a horizontal line that is drawn underneath key content in a document to emphasize it.
What is the Shortcut to underlining a whole paragraph?
Select a paragraph, and then Press Ctrl + U.
What is the shortcut to underlining words by avoiding spaces?
Select a paragraph, and then press Ctrl + Shift + W.
Can I undo or change underline styles later?
Yes, select the text and modify the underline style using the “Font” dialog.
Will different underlining styles appear in printed documents?
Yes, the chosen underline styles will be reflected in both on-screen and printed documents.
Does this work with other text-editing software?
Underlining text with different styles may vary depending on the software; these instructions are specific to Microsoft Word.
How do I remove underlines from specific parts of a document?
Manually remove underlines by selecting the text, going to the “Font” dialog, and choosing “None” from the “Underline style” dropdown.
Can I adjust the spacing between the text and underline?
Yes, select the text, open the “Font” dialog, and modify the “Underline color” dropdown to adjust spacing.
How do I underline text with a colored line beneath it?
Select the text, open the “Font” dialog, choose a color from the “Underline color” dropdown, and click “OK.”